Friday, October 17, 2008

My Perspective from the land of the Liberal

Welcome,

I begin this blog with the intention of sharing my thoughts and ideas about Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This could take form in many ways...through politics, science, love, art, humor or just a funny story that illuminates a truth.

I live in San Francisco, a city I love deeply for its support of 'the different'. I lived in different places in this wonderful country of ours but when I arrived here I felt at home. People embrace change and transformation in a way I have never encountered anywhere else. While they may not be 'into' what you choose to do they are fully supportive of you doing it. This means every day you see all sorts of people doing all sorts of things...

This open tolerance does have its limits however... God forbid you are a Republican! The tunnel vision that the average person has here for the issues is quite remarkable. It is much the same problem that the Rabid Right has... it is their way or the highway.

I hope that I can give the people around me a bit more of a balanced viewpoint about the world around us. The SF Chronicle, while a fine publication has a very limited perspective. Same goes for the New York Times which is the holy bible around these parts. A wonderful paper with an agenda just like any other media source. It is no more 'correct' than the Wall Street Journal is.

I read both of these publications every single day. They both provide me with different perspectives on our country... I get to decide what my truth is by sorting through these various items, seeing how they compare and noticing trends over time. When I began reading newspapers about 6 years ago it was soley the SF Chronicle. I then added the NYTimes into the mix. Finally I got a subscription to the Wall Street Journal and have been reading all three for the past 4 years.

I finally feel that I have enough information to form a coherent opinion on the subjects of our day. I also have finally gotten fed up with the close minded group think that I see everyday around me. Pockets of people all cheering on each others very limited viewpoints, supporting their own myopic ignorance by interacting only with those who have the exact same opinions.

So welcome to my brain...I will be taking in this world of ours and I will share what I am learning. I am new to blogging...in fact I am new to putting my beliefs out on display for the world to see.

Thanks for stopping by...

Durand Ford


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Nice D. Welcome to blogging. Already I'm drawn in...